Should You Choose a Diesel, Propane, or Electric Forklift?
Selecting a fuel source is one of the first considerations when buying a new forklift. The three most popular fuels include diesel, propane, and electricity. The ideal choice depends on your budget, the operating environment, your existing fuel infrastructure, and other factors. Consider the benefits of each forklift fuel type to help you decide what’s best for you.
Diesel Forklift Benefits
- Mid-range purchase price: The initial cost of a diesel forklift tends to land partway between propane and electric versions, making it a good choice for mid-range budgets.
- Affordable fuel: Diesel is typically the most cost-effective fuel source for forklift trucks. Ideally, your facility should have a place to store, pump, and deliver diesel to simplify refueling.
- Ideal for outdoor operations: Diesel forklift trucks are well-suited for outdoor environments, particularly those with rough terrain.
- Large size and impressive power: Diesel forklifts can bear the heaviest loads, climb the steepest ramps, and accelerate the most quickly of any forklift.
- Long lifespan: Diesel equipment tends to lasts the longest of any forklift fuel type, making for an excellent return on investment. It also holds its value well thanks to its durability and longevity.
Propane Forklift Benefits
- Affordable purchase price: Propane forklift trucks have a low initial cost, allowing you to grow your fleet for less. This is an important consideration if you’re working with a tight budget but still need high-performance material handling equipment.
- Easy refueling: Propane forklifts boast an impressive run time on a single tank. It’s also easy to swap out the fuel tank mid-shift, minimizing interruptions to your workday.
- Versatile operating environment: Clean-burning propane can be used inside or outside, making it a flexible choice if your operations span both interior and exterior environments.
- Low maintenance requirements: With minimal fuel deposits on internal components and few moving parts, propane equipment requires minimal routine maintenance. This saves you time, money, and hassle as you work to create the most efficient operation possible.
Electric Forklift Benefits
- Clean, convenient fuel: Electricity is the cleanest way to power a forklift, especially if your building also has solar panels. This combination allows you to charge your electric forklifts for less, keeping your operating costs down. Even without solar panels in the mix, electric equipment doesn’t release emissions, making it the most eco-friendly choice.
- Designed for indoor and outdoor applications: Their sleek, compact design and emission-free operation makes them an ideal solution for navigating narrow warehouse aisles. Electric forklifts can also come equipped with pneumatic tires, making them efficient for outdoor use, as well.
- Longevity: With no internal combustion engine, electric forklifts can have a long lifespan with consistent maintenance checks.
With these benefits in mind, you should now know whether to buy a diesel, propane, or electric forklift for your business. No matter what you choose, Fraza is the forklift dealer for you! We rent and sell both new and used forklifts. We also offer forklift maintenance, parts and services, and much more. For additional information, please contact us online.